Thursday, December 29, 2011

there's something happening here.

We took a plane over a week ago, dashed headlong into Alaska. Got swallowed by its darkness, packed with snow and ice and wind and cold. The family whirled around us, cooking pancakes and pizzas. Little Dax wore fur, strapped to backs, tucked in a snowsuit and giant fur hat, his little red cheeks rounded and pushed up against his eyes.

I am thankful his grandma & uncle & grandpa want take him outside, walk him to meet the horses & the goats & the sheep & the cows. I am thankful for his interest in them and his slow approach. I am thankful for the walk we took, just my son and I, when the day light shone. We watched the light grey trees (those bare giants) against the bright white sky. We listened to the crunch of the snowboots, the rustle of puffy polyester leg against puffy polyester leg. After a mile or so, you fell asleep. The quiet of your face with the quiet of that snowy tree-lined road. That's the moment that Life Is.

I worry about us, as a people. On the plane, they now hand out these digital players that come with music & movies & the like. The girl next to me, who taps her foot while fussing with her phone seems relieved to receive her player. She orders a movie and after 32 minutes, decides against it. She quickly orders another. She zips between the movie and something on her phone for the next two hours. When the credits roll, she anxiously plays solitaire. And I'm not trying to pick on this girl--the whole planes' faces are bathed in the white artificial light of screens. People mindlessly wormholing into digital mazes.

Can't we Just Sit There anymore? What, I wonder, is this doing to our brains? Our interactions? Our relationships? Everything is so quick & fantastic & bright & big & frantic & violent. It seems so addictive & impulsive & gross, this behavior of ours.

It's getting worse too. Why must there be a television EVERY-FUCKING-WHERE?!  At the gym now, they are attached to the cardio machines. The users look like wired mice. I wonder if they are even getting a workout, since their minds are so far removed from their bodies? Doesn't anybody want to feel anything anymore?

I took Dax to zpizza the other day, a treat (for me really). We sat there eating, when I noticed him gazing off in the distance. I followed his eyes to a television in the corner. I felt so sad then. First off, he's one years old. One. Years. Old. Which, according to the AAP, children shouldn't be watching any television until they're two. (Mind you, I have been known to throw a little Curious George on when trying to cook dinner, but at least the viewing and content is under my control as a parent). How would I be able to avoid television & its seemingly unchecked content if I tried? Televisions are in airports & malls & cars & restaurants & every other damn place you can think of now because apparently we can't even stand to speak to each other anymore.

I am not immune, especially to the internet. I am amazed sometimes at how some hours can go by in browsing time and nothing accomplished, not a stitch closer to my dreams & goals. How dare I say, 'there's not enough time?' How much of itdo we buzz away? And after I am off the internet, how do I feel? Anxious. Tired. A little Frantic. It certainly doesn't relax me. It doesn't refresh me (although writing does).

But sometimes I simply crave a mindless crawl through fave websites. I am familiar with this thinking/feeling/needing from an old ex-addiction to cigarettes--I would THINK a couple cigs would relax me, but truly, every puff would make me more anxious, more needy, wanting more. Is there enjoyment? Yes, of course, trust me I loved my cigs, but long-term happiness? Heck no.

 I saw a girl on the swing the other day, looking at her phone and texting. She was missing it. The whole part of swinging where your mind gets all freed up & you can feel your body & your smile and the wind whooshing between your teeth. These are the moments that regenerate the brain. The ones that help us think deep & clear. Without them, what kind of citizens will we be?

It makes me scared & sad & mad for Dax. I don't see kids playing on the street here (a nice safe suburban neighborhood, easily walkable).I don't want him to miss out on all the beautiful things that surround us, calm us. My whole childhood was about the woods and the sky and the lakes and the rivers--I found solace there, freedom, repose. Where will he find his peace of mind? The backdrop of his memories? A google search?

I am afraid for him to grow up with peers whose attention spans are .02 miliseconds. How much can a parent really do? I can field damage control, of course, but in a world like ours where it seems so many people are accepting this new life of ours and not asking questions. Where the business owners are tacking televisions in every corner. Where every new car comes equipped with a television, so kids don't even stare out windows anymore. They just listen to the soundbites, get all jumbled up by The Noise.

How can I tell my son: There's another way, 
When the whole world seems to be telling him otherwise?

11 comments:

laura said...

mmmmm...

i really like this.

starnes family said...

Agreed.

Have you see Wall-E? I know.....kind of ironic that I'm telling you to plug your mind into something else when we're fighting against that very thing.....but the message concurs with yours. It's fantastic.

Darcy said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Darcy said...

yes, i have seen wall-e and LOVE that movie! it is so true :-( the image that always zips through the brain is when they are all on chairs getting fed and plugged in. I feel like it is kind of like that in a lot of ways :-(. i see the enormous task in front of me as a parent.

Mama Durso said...

I know, right?! We just spent five days with my dad and stepmom in Albuquerque for Christmas and the whole time all Johnny wanted to do was watch Toy Story. The problem was that I really couldn't blame him. The first day we explored the house, but I kept having to tell him not to touch this or that and not to go over there because my stepmother is a little bit of an idiot and decided that 2-year-olds don't need child-proofed spaces. PLUS when we went outside, he couldn't go run and explore like he wanted because the same thing happened. The poor kid just gave up and decided to do something that didn't involve me saying "no" every two minutes.

The nice thing, though, is that he would get bored of it and move on to something else... like endlessly opening and closing cabinets in the kitchen with my stepmom chasing him around telling him "no". Needless to say, we're happy to be home in a place where the TV is rarely on.

Anonymous said...

I have faith and believe that with a mother like Dax has- he will be guided into all different avenues of creactivity.
Just seeing it and knowing is a big step. You have a great way of reminding us. Love, mome

Alissa Mots said...

You are such an amazing writer. I find myself reading your post, blogs, whatever, thinking, yea, that's what I think EXACTLY! I love it. I too have a lot of worries and sadness for our culture. I get sucked into the digital world a little more than I'd like but that happens to be one of my new years goals, well, the only one actually. Less time on phone and internet, more time playing princesses and blocks. I'm really hoping to teach my kids there is really a better way and to enjoy themselves and the world around us, because it sure can be amazing, sometimes. Thanks for all your great reads!

Holli said...

I say this same thing ALL the time! Everyone is letting life pass them by... it seems as if (myself included at times) everyone has to be constantly plugged in and no one stops to soak it all in anymore. When I feel that life is sliding by I make it a point to put everything down and just sit and absorb it all. Whatever is around me.

Darcy said...

@ mama durso: it's crazy right? the book club is reading that last child in the woods book and it talks about how kids are, because of all their restrictions and such, tending to stay indoors. i can totally see that. I don't know how to combat it though as it seems so large. however, it is so nice to know people who are aware and feel the same.
@ mome: awww thanks mom :-). i hope so. i try to get him out all the time, but there doesn't seem to be a lot of open space like we had. i remember running wild! of course he is too young yet for that, but when he is old enough i want to make sure he gets a taste of what we had.
@ alissa: Hi Alissa!! Thank you so much for your reading and your compliments :-)! I love your new year's resolution, and I share it. I just have to believe that a lot of people are coming to the same conclusions, so perhaps there is hope for our children just yet :-). With awareness, I think there can be change.
@Holli: So critical right now. I am reminding myself more and more, doing as you are. Like-minded people find each other--that is a fact i am banking on for Dax--IF i can instill a healthy love and respect for nature.

JennSchut said...

thanks for commenting over on my blog, it reminded me I never left one for you on this post. YOU ARE NOT ALONE. My daughter will know a life of nature and freedom. Technology doesn't own everything yet, and as long as a few of us fight it, we can hold it off. Lots of support your way!!!

Anonymous said...

Darcy,

My own mother had a big impact on my world view. I wouldn't sweat it too much, Dax will know there is another way as long as you tell him there is.

spare a girl some clicks?

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...